By David F. Pendrys
NEW HAVEN, CT- The Dartmouth Big Green traveled down to Ingalls Rink to face off against the Yale Bulldogs Friday night. The result was a 3-0 win for Yale and a shutout win for Kyra O’Brien
The first period went back and forth with each side having quality chances only to be thwarted by O’Brien and Robyn Chemago of Dartmouth. Mallory Souliotis broke the stalemate with seconds left in the frame teeing up a slapper over the Big Green keeper for a 1-0 Yale lead. Jordan Chancellor picked up the assist on the eventual game winner.
Despite a back and forth second period with at least one power play opportunity for each team, no scoring occurred as the goaltenders continued solid play. But, in the third though Yale was able to close things out. After a Julia Yetman slapshot from the point, Eden Murray deflected it past the keeper. With no further scoring, Dartmouth would pull their netminder with about two minutes left. However, it didn’t work out as Jordan Chancellor collected the puck in the defensive zone, out skated the D and deposited it in the empty net for the dagger. Taylor Marchin had assists on both third period goals.
Defensively, Bailee Brekke, Hailey Noronha, and Tess Bracken had two blocks for Dartmouth. Caroline Shaunessy, Christina Rombau, Devon Moir, and Rose Falzone one each. For Yale, Marchin had 4 blocks, Murray, Yetman, and Emma Vlasic had one each.
O’Brien earned the shutout with 25 saves and Chemago made 29 saves in the loss. Yale plays Harvard on Saturday, and Dartmouth takes on Brown.
Yale Susan Cavanagh Head Coach of Women’s Ice Hockey Joakim Flygh and O’Brien had thoughts on the game afterward.
Noticed Plays (A not exhaustive list of plays that might not make the score sheet. Not in any way meant to be all that happened.)
- Phoebe Staenz stole it in the defensive zone from the Big Green and started it out. On a later drive she fed it to Jordan Chancellor in front but Chemago well. During a penalty kill she skated it down into the opposing end and skated around using up time.
- Chancellor had several steals in the Dartmouth zone including when she nearly got it from Chemago herself behind the net while on a penalty kill off all things. She also disrupted a Big Green shot while killing a man advantage. Later, she acquired the puck in the defensive zone and sent it out.
- Grace Wickens kept it in the zone during an attack preserving the opportunities. Defensively she flummoxed an opponent’s shot.
- Taylor Marchin cleared it on penalty kills several times, she also deflected a Dartmouth pass from the back of the Yale net.
- Mallory Souliotis intercepted an opposing pass in the neutral zone, and she cleared it on the penalty kill, as well as on a PK got a stick on a Dartmouth set up pass. She also kept the Big Green from getting a clean zone entry.
- Courtney Pensavalle had a break short handed, and later had a really solid centering pass. She an Kaitlin Gately effectively moved it into the offensive zone. Later Gately disrupted a visitor’s pass and dispatched it from the Bulldog end.
- Kara Drexler acquired the puck in the defensive zone got it out. She also acquired a centering pass and sent it out of the Yale goal area. At another point, she and Emily Monaghan stopped a Dartmouth breakaway.
- Emma Vlasic intercepted it in the defensive zone stopping the Dartmouth attack. Brittany Wheeler and Julia Yetman had clears penalty kills.
- Laura Anderson stole it in the offensive zone for a shot chance. She also knocked the puck out of the Yale zone.
- Eden Murray intercepted a pass in the Yale zone and skated it out herself.
- Krista Yip-Chuck was part of the set up for several Yale attacks.
- Hailey Noronha intercepted a Yale centering pass on the penalty kill. She also kept it in the zone on a power play.
- Kennedy Ottenbreit stole it in the defensive end to stop the Bulldog effort. Later on she acquired a loose puck and exited her zone with it.
- Emma Korbs disrupted a Yale zone entry. At another time she maneuvered the bulldogs out of the zone. She also acquired the the biscuit in the Yale zone for a shot, and she kept it in the same zone at another point to lead to another attempt.
- Bailee Brekke stole it in the defensive zone and later had a broke in on net. She also got her stick on a Yale centering pass.
- Alyssa Baker stole it in the offensive zone to generate a chance. She also intercepted a Bulldog pass in the neutral zone and drove in at the net.
- Caroline Shaunessy intercepted a centering pass, ending the danger.
- Morgan Turner had a breakaway, and also acquired the puck in the offensive zone leading to a scoring opportunity for a teammate. She also later had broke down the side of the ice, and even later skated in for another attack.
- Cecilia Lopez acquired the puck in the defensive zone brought it out. Later she snatched it in her zone to end the Yale attempt. Also she stole the puck right in the Bulldog zone near the goal.
- Kate Landers and Mackenzie St. Onge broke in on Yale.
- Tess Bracken got the disc out of the goal area.
- Christina Rombaut acquired the puck in the defensive zone, brought it out, and ate up time on the penalty kill. She and Eleni Tebano also flummoxed Yale and got the puck out of the zone on the PK too. Tebano intercepted it in the Bulldog zone while they were on a power play as well and one of her blocks came on a penalty kill.
- Tess Bracken cleared it on the penalty kill. At another point she intercepted a centering pass and fed it up to Cecilia Lopez for a scoring chance.
- Devon Moir stole it in the neutral zone leading to an opportunity.