By David F. Pendrys
BOSTON, MA- In a game that did not lack for offense the St. Lawrence Saints edged the Northeastern Huskies 6-5 Saturday afternoon at Matthews Arena.
At 7:19 in the first Justine Reyes broke in on net on a 2 on 1 to put St. Lawrence up 1-0. The period would end with no further tallies, but in period 2 the scoring exploded.
SLU’s Maggie McLaughlin came up the side of the ice but slid. In spite of that she fed it to Nadine Edney in front of her who was in excellent position to score. An assist also went to Kalie Grant at 2:25. The Saints added to their lead a little over a minute after while killing a penalty. Kennedy Marchment snabbed a short handed goal by beating all 5 NU players back to their net. An assist went to Alex Moore.
Northeastern also utilized the power play to score. A SLU defender knocked the put away from one of the Huskies but it came to Scamurra who made an improvised slightly off balance one timer out of it to put her team on the board. Assists went to Codie Cross and Denisa Krizova at 4:53.
At 6:07 NU narrowed the gap further when Kasidy Anderson scored assisted by Bailey Coyne. Anderson skated in to a great position in the center and beat the keeper. SLU regained a two goal lead at 9:22 thanks to Brooke Webster assisted by Marchment and Hannah Miller. A rebound went right to Webster who was perched right next to the net for a put in. McKenna Brand of NU cut the led again at 18:08 with assists from Krizova and Heather Mottau. She was hovering in front of the net when Krizova brought it around the net. The ensuing scrum put the puck in the net.
In the third things continued to get interesting. Hannah Miller of SLU came in on net, and despite being well shadowed by an NU player she advanced, and flicked it by her and the goaltender for a 5-3 lead. Assists went to Marchment and Kristen Paladis.
Brand got on the board again in response at 10:37 when she flicked the puck upward in what looked like a possible dump in but instead it ended up in the corner of the net. Mottau and Coyne picked up assists each on that surprise. Krizova scored a minute later slicing through the defense for a point blank shot which she landed. Scamurra and Halle Silva had the assists on the game tying goal.
With overtime looming, Webster stole the puck from a Northeastern player in their zone, she got it to Marchment before the Huskies could corner her, and Marchment threaded it across to an awaiting Miller in the center who beat the goalie for a game winner with 18 seconds left in regulation.
In the goaltending category. SLU’s Grace Harrison made 23 saves on Northeastern’s 28 shots. NU’s Sarah Foss took 23 saves on 29 shots.
Noticed Plays (A not exhaustive list of plays that might not make the score sheet but may play a role in the game play. It is not to be considered a list of every type of play.)
- Reyes intercepted a pass in the SLU end and cleared it. She had at least two blocks as well.
- Jacquie Diffley disrupted a Northeastern player trying to break in on net. At another point she stopped in a defensive zone and pushed the puck out.
- Jaimee Cooke stopped a clearing attempt with an interception to prolong the Saints effort.
- Kayla Nielsen dug the puck out from behind the net and moved it out to a teammate. She also deflected a centering pass allowing Cooke to get it. She also retrieved the puck after a NU drive, ending it.
- Kirsten Padalis stole it from a Northeastern player near the SLU net.
- Emily Middagh kept it in the offensive zone. Later she made it to the puck a teammate poked from an NU player and moved it out.
- Lydia Grauer disrupted Northeastern at mid-ice eventually setting up a steal.
- Edney blocked a shot. Later she intercepted a centering pass. She also snagged it in from a defender and sent it over to a teammate for another offensive attempt.
- Moore got it out of the goal mouth after an opponent’s shot. Later she intercepted a pass that was sent around the boards and exited the zone. Also she whacked at Northeastern’s entry attempt and eventually pushed it out.
- Amanda McClure retrieved a puck from behind her net and got it to teammates. She later intercepted a centering pass in the zone and brought it out.
- Dakota Golde had at least one block, as did Miller.
- Kirsten Padalis slid to clear it from her zone.
- Krizova got to a loose puck in the defensive zone to end a SLU offensive venture. She brought it out. Also, she got the rebound off that bounced off Foss ending an opponent’s offense.
- Coyne whacked it away from SLU player at blue line of the Huskies zone and fed it out for a shot. She also kept it in the Saints zone to keep the Northeastern offense at it.
- Brand cleared it from the goal mouth. She at a later time cleared it on a penalty kill.
- Melissa Haganey stopped a zone entry. Much later she disrupted a close range SLU shot.
- Andrea Renner snatched the puck in the defensive zone and brought it out for an opportunity.
- Matti Hartman stole the biscuit at mid ice starting an offensive effort. Much later she had an interception in the defensive zone and sent it out.
- Kasidy Anderson retrieved it from the NU zone and brought it out.
- Paige Savage cleared it. She later blocked a shot.
- Heather Mottau intercepted a shot in goal mouth and passed it out. She also stole it in defensive zone from an SLU player and fed it out to another player for another chance.
- Lauren Kelly kept the puck in the SLU zone leading to two more shots. Later she intercepted a pass and exited it from the defensive area.
- Mottau and Kelly disrupted a St. Lawrence zone entry.
- Hayley Masters got to a blocked shot and took it down to the St. Lawrence end.
- Cross and Scamurra acquired the puck in the NU zone and conveyed it out.
- Codie Cross had a block.
- Kasidy Anderson stole it and brought it to visitor’s zone.